Re: [suse-security] All in one box ! Is it a good solution ?
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:46:53 -0500
**strings of ones and zeros arranged themselves into a message from myLinux <myLinux@xxxxxxxxx> on Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:46:41 +0100
which said...

**"linux firewalls" published by Markt+Technik.
** It's about ipchains & brothers, very effectiv and not too technical...

I have this book and actually have read it, but it doesn't give me practical
information about hardware needs. I have several p3's an athlon 700 and a lowly
pentium/150 , that last box is currently awaiting a rebuild ( starting w/ new
mobo and building up, I suspect the only things I will be able to carry forward
will be the scsi drives and posibly the scsi controller <sigh> ) Anyway ,
question arises , is it posible and more important, even practical to just
reformat all drives and perhaps install suse something and use this box as a
firewalling box ?? It has 128megs of ram, three fast scsi drives ( 4 megs ea.) a
scsi tape deck (dds3 , I think, posibly only dds2, it's sony pretty good tape
deck, under os/2 warp anyway ) adaptek fast scsi card and a scsi cd player only
)
Would it be feasable to use this box as a firewalling box? or is it too slow,
and I should get a new mobo and start over. ( It has a pretty good tower case
<s>)

TIA ,
all information will be greatfully recieved

afterthought: Users: Keep them dry and don't feed them after midnight.