has anyone built a "stateful" firewall w/ the new kernel yet?
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 19:14:52 -0500
casting my electrons to the solar winds ....

I read somewhere that the newest kernel ( to be releases on Feb 12 w/
suse7.1?) ACn do stateful firewalling. This brings packet filtereing down to a
really fine art. I have been waiting for the newest suse release to become
available before getting into this bit of making a network work, *safely* ( well
okay, it only seems a bit safer for folks who are not 110% knowledable , but
this is what we have to work w/ , and for . If only to mitigate any potential
liabilities lawyers can dream up <sigh>)

since there is so much tweeking to do anyway, I doubt anyone has noticed
whether the Suse 7.0 firewall is successful or not.

Any guidence on the newest firewalling theory , w/ the newer capabilities, ANd
general information will be appreciated. feel free to post to the list or
proivately, however, recomendations to go boil my head , will be strictly and
cheerfully ignored <G>
Blonde

afterthought: Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

  • No further messages