Re: [suse-security] NFS - secure aternative
  • From: Tobias Burnus <burnus@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:29:51 +0100
Hi,

> > > could someone tell me an alternative to NFS, which is safer?
> > > I search for an implementation authenticated not only over uid and gid.
> > > I think about DCE DFS, but there is'nt an implementation for linux yet.
> > > Have someone a hint or some experience in this case?

Well I fear there is no alternative which you can simply plug in.

There is:
NFS v4: Based on NFS, but not yet finished (no code exists)
http://www.nfsv4.org

Andrew File System: Offers everything you want, but I don't know how
stable it is. AFS is supported for a wide range of platforms. At DASY in
Zeuten I heard it took quite some time until it was working. (IBM AFS)
http://www.transarc.com/Product/EFS/AFS/index.html
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/afs/
http://www.openafs.org/

Coda File System: Opensource project similar to IBM's AFS.
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

And for copying files I also would recommend rsync (rsync.samba.org),
but this is not what you want.

I therefore would recommend:
Stay with your NFSv3 system. If you don't have controll over all
clients, you may deside to export only the user directories of that
system or make sure that only you can become root on those computers.
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
(If you use NIS: Note that there are also numberous problems!)

If you cannot assure that you cannot controll root on that client, you
should have a look at the AFS.