Re: [suse-security] All in one box ! Is it a good solution ?
  • From: John Trickey <JTrickey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:27:38 +0000
Hi,

information about hardware needs. I have several p3's an athlon 700 and a lowly
pentium/150 , that last box is currently awaiting a rebuild ( starting w/ new
mobo and building up, I suspect the only things I will be able to carry forward
will be the scsi drives and posibly the scsi controller <sigh> ) Anyway ,
question arises , is it posible and more important, even practical to just
reformat all drives and perhaps install suse something and use this box as a
firewalling box ?? It has 128megs of ram, three fast scsi drives ( 4 megs ea.) a
scsi tape deck (dds3 , I think, posibly only dds2, it's sony pretty good tape
deck, under os/2 warp anyway ) adaptek fast scsi card and a scsi cd player only

FYI, I have an old 486 66DX2 with 16M RAM & 500M IDE running as a firewall on a 10BaseT network. I have measured it at a sustained 2.4Bbit/sec for 90 mins during a large file transfer. It runs a moderate rule set (~100 rules) but looking at the system resources, the load was not significant. I suspect the first limitation that would hit me would be the speed of the NICS.

Would it be feasable to use this box as a firewalling box? or is it too slow,

It depends what you want it to do. I presume your pentiums have PCI so faster NICs are available to you. You certainly don't need the RAM,disk, tape etc as a firewall should be that & nothing else. Hopefully the stats will help you make up your mind.

Regards,
John

< Previous Next >