[newbie:] Secure development environment
  • From: Andreas Otto <andreas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:58:26 +0000
Hi,

I am currently setting up one of our development servers with SuSE
7.0. Since the installation of a "normal" workstation system is pretty
much straight forward I believe that there are a lot of things more to
be configured to have secure development server.

Hopefully someone on the list can point me to the right direction.

The server will be used for web development and therefore needs to
have the following services/applications:

# initial setup
HTTP
MYSQL
SSH
POSTFIX
CVS
(CVSPSERVER) current idea is to connect to cvs via ssh which might be
the better idea

XServer
KDE2

# later
IBM WEBSPHERE
IBM DB2

I first started to read Marc's article abpout setting up a secure
webserver [ http://www.suse.de/en/linux/webserver/index.html ]

I think using harden_suse might invoke problems using XServer and any
Windowmanager. Anyway due to demands from our Websphere guy he wants
to be able to access the Websphere GUI remotely.

So my main question seems to be "How to use an XServer remotely and
still have a 'secure' box?"

Thanks for your help,
Andreas

--
Andreas Otto
OgilvyInteractive | Floor 2, Canberra House