Re: [suse-security] [newbie:] Secure development environment
  • From: Andreas Otto <andreas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:04:22 +0000
Hi Andreas,

> I first started to read Marc's article abpout setting up a secure
> webserver [ http://www.suse.de/en/linux/webserver/index.html ]

The biggest change to the system was probably running harden_suse
which I did in the following way:

harden_suse y y y y y n y n y y

This seemed to have worked quite well.

> I think using harden_suse might invoke problems using XServer and any
> Windowmanager. Anyway due to demands from our Websphere guy he wants
> to be able to access the Websphere GUI remotely.

Strangely, after doing harden_suse I can't launch KDE2 anymore KDE
instead works fine. Guess I have run into some typically newbie
problems here by trying to figure things out which I don't completely
understand at the moment ;-)

Any hints?

> So my main question seems to be "How to use an XServer remotely and
> still have a 'secure' box?"

Sounds like a contradiction, I know ;-)

--
Andreas Otto
OgilvyInteractive | Floor 2, Canberra House