RE: [suse-security] Ftp Services disabled
  • From: gtschakert@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:49:44 +0100 (MET)
Hi
On 30-Nov-00 Pao Sayaovang wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Im a newbie at Linux. Recently setup a SuSE 7.0 LinUx box and had
> everything going well. Until, I made a few changes in the /etc/rc.config
> and somehow disabled my FTP Services. I've also made changes in my
> etc/rc.config.d/firewall.rc.config too and now I totally blocked out of my
> ftp services. I know I'm not being clear on the info I've given but can
> anyone help me get started with re-enabling ftp services again.
>
> Is it?
>
> start Inetd="yes"??
> start Proftpd="yes"????
>
> Thanks,

If you have to start proftpd via rc.config depends on your configuration:
To start with rc.config you have to set
ServerType standalone
in /etc/proftpd.conf
and disable ftpd in inetd.conf
(My favorite, you can disable inetd totally and have no telnet, rsh).
The other way with inetd is:
in rc.config
start Proftpd="no"
start Inetd="yes"
and in proftpd.conf
ServerType inetd
and choose the right ftpd in inetd.conf.

What (or if) you have to change your FW-settings I could not say. I'm
(yet) not very good in "firewalling"

regards

Guido