Re: [suse-security] Firewall/Virusscanner
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:22:50 +0100
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 14:29 +0100, ralf.vroomen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [ ... ] While all good firewall programs defend you against
> hackers, I still haven't found a decent virusscanner to defend
> all workstations behind the firewall.
>
> Okay, you could install virusscanners on all worstation, but my
> goal is to catch the virus and those damn pokémon BEFORE they
> can reach the workstations.

Not to leave you with a wrong impression: It's not the "good
firewall" defending you, it's employing it in the right way which
does! And I consider it dangerous to believe that a central
scanner could defend all workstations. What about crypted
communication? What about Web and FTP transfer? What about
removable media?

Do yourself a favour and consider using *all* the tools available
to you. Install a central scanner, maybe use multiple engines
which complement their scanning success, and do install scanners
at the workstations, too!

And please turn off this f*** HTML in your email messages, at
least when posting to lists. There's no point in tripling the
volume for null gain in information value. Thanks!

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx