Re: [suse-security] Firewall/Virusscanner
  • From: Rainer Link <link@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:23:26 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Kurt Seifried wrote:

> > Okay, you could install virusscanners on all worstation, but my goal is to
> > catch the virus and those damn pokémon BEFORE they can reach the
> > workstations.
>
> You should also install viruses software on the workstations because it is
> possible for users to get content a central scanner cannot scan (it is
> encrypted, comes through a channel it isn't looking at like or a different
> one entirely like a floppy disk, etc.).

Correct. A combination of server-based and client-based virus protection
is considered as state-of-the-art. But please don't forget about user
education! (do I have to mention the word backup, too ?! ;)))

> Trend Micro makes viruswall, which runs on Linux (we use it) one nice thing
> it does (that amavis/etc can't do) is scan outgoing emails.
Huh? That's wrong at least for AMaViS, AMaviS-Perl, (c)inflex and
MIMEDefanger. A very nice solution is AV Mail Gate from H+B EDV, too, but
it's not open source. But yes, you can't really compare AMaViS with
InterScan VirusWall (ISVW).

> http://www.antivirus.com/products/isvw/
> Linux: Red Hat Linux 6.1 or above OR Turbo Linux 6.1J.
> It should work on SuSE.

We've been working together with Trend Micro (Germany), as there were some
glitches on SuSE Linux. I own a copy of ISVW 3.6 Build 1122 for SuSE Linux
6.4 and 7.0. Trend Micro Germany published a press release some days ago.

best regards,
Rainer Link

--
Rainer Link | SuSE - The Linux Experts