limit network bandwith?
  • From: Yuri Robbers <yuri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 22:17:10 +0100 (MET)

Dear list,

would it be possible to limit the network bandwith of specific processes?
I'm looking for an effect similar to what nice does for processor usage.
The reason I ask this, is that I have some machines on a low capacity
network, and sometimes one or a few large file transfers monopolize all
bandwith, resulting in DoS for other services (ssh for example becomes
unusable because of teh long delay in betwee a key press and the shell
displaying the character that was typed). What I would like to do is
reduce the bandwith consumed by these file transfers so that at other
network traffic like ssh will continue to work properly. Does anybody have
an idea?

Thanks!
Yuri.

drs. Yuri Robbers phone : +31-71-527-4966
Leiden University fax : +31-71-527-4900
Institute for Theoretical Biology email : robbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kaiserstraat 63
2311 GP Leiden PGP 5.0 public key available:
the Netherlands Check your favourite hkp server.