Re: [suse-security] security and quality of qmail and relatives
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:36:53 -0700
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to ask you experts about a short and non flaming statement
> about the qmail MTA and related tools of Mr. Bernstein. I am
> looking for a secure and more transparent replacement for sendmail.
>
> Why isnt SUSE using the qmail system?
>
> Thank you for a clarifying statement.

Have you bothered to read about Qmail, or perhaps actually download it and
take a look at it? Obviously not (sigh). Qmail's license is VERY restrictive
and basically does not allow vendors to ship it (you cannot ship modified
binaries, that's like a 50 cal handgun round to the back of the head). That
and qmail's development has been somewhat stunted by the fact that
contributions to it are often not included, basically only DJB is working on
it, which means qmail lacks a LOT of features.

Maybe in addition to the unsubscribe info you could post the official url
for the list archives so that people will know where to look?

> Rainer

Kurt Seifried, seifried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SecurityPortal - your focal point for security on the 'net