Re: [suse-security] Firewall/Virusscanner Conclusion
  • From: Nix <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:51:31 +1100
errm... AVP is definitely NOT free. I don't think you read the webpage very well :)
Neither is InoculateIT. Just cause you can download it doesn't mean that it's free.
You can dl McAfee AV for Linux also, but you'll find them calling you after a few months
of updates asking you to pay for a licence..

The last line on that avp page you link says:

"Contact sales@xxxxxx for pricing and availability information"

After looking at the current FAQ for Amavis (http://www.amavis.org/FAQ.txt),
I see that it still has the same limitation that made me use MFilter.
(I used to use amavis on approximately 20 servers until I found MFilter)
but pls correct me if the FAQ is out of date, as I know there are some amavis
developers on the list.
The problem is that it can't seamlessly scan ALL mail relayed through the server.
That being all inbound and outbound mail regardless if it's for local delivery or not.

This is a BIG limitation in the design of Amavis and needs to be rectified b4 it will
be able to act as a replacement for MIMESweeper or VirusWall (apporpriate tm's)

If you have a configuration where you need this (I have 100's of clients who do..)
consider carefully b4 you use amavis as it will cause you alot of work.

MFilter has the advantage of being a completely separate process to Sendmail/SMTPD
and therefore is very flexible.....

Hope this info is useful to someone...

just my 2c worth...

Cheers