RE: [suse-security] a little service question
  • From: "Alexander Bien" <abien@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:01:41 +0100
Hi Dustin,

Did i hurt your feelings? Im sorry. To be true, i am a little on the edge
today.
But o well, Your question can be answered by reading either the website i
pointed u at, or by searching through the archives of this list where Kurt
often mentioned his sites and theyr docs. I consider his guide to a secure
linux system as very usefull, and so do others.

Until now I was
> convinced that
> a mailing list concerning security is to be used when someone has a
> security-related question. If all users on planet earth would be
> as "smart"
> as you are (seem to be) then we would not need such things as
> mailings-lists.

I dont see the point. All i see is that your trying to fool my ego. This
wount make your system secure.

There is always a point where man-pages and
> faq-lists do not
> seem to answer one´s question and then it is time to ask other
> users. Or did
> I get the point wrong? You can be sure that I took the time to find the
> answer myself but I think it is not useful to reinvent the wheel over and
> over again (as a german proverb goes, don´t know the english equivalent)!

Lets say u type "How do i secure my linux system" into a thing like google..
u get a lot of links to VERY usefull howto files.. i bet u did that.

> I would appreciate an answer from you and a statement from the
> list whether
> I was "allowed" to ask such a "stupid" question or not.

I never said your not allowed to do things. I am not in charge to
allow/forbid things on this list. Neither do i think we need a moderator.
(Hi Kurt). And while talkign about the re-invented wheel... Questions like
"How do i secure my system" cant be answered in 2 sentences. So the best
thing is to point u at the docs that will help you, instead of explaining
the whole thing over and over again.

I dont apreciate you moving our private conversation to a mailing list, and
once again buggin people with stuff that has allready been there ..

Bottom Line:
My answer was a little short. I apologize for my sarcasm (read it, feel it
..etc), which has obviously been misunderstood.

Thank you for your time..

Alex