Re: [suse-security] netstat-output
  • From: "Raffy" <suse@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:24:54 +0100
> Is there any easy way totrick someone by making a replaced file have the
same md5 sum by adding in
> useless bits at the end or something?

md5 is a cryptographic hash function. These functions do exactly have the
property that no two messages (files) should have to the same checksum. [All
cryptopeople, please excuse my loose argumentation. I know, I should
argument on things like preimage resistance and collosion resistance. I like
to put it the easy way here!] It would take you an aweful long time to find
two files which map to the same hashvalue. Especially it might not be
possible to pad a file with anything to get the same values!
See Handbook of Applied Cryptography for further details about hashfunctions
and MD5 in general.

Cheers
Raffy

< Previous Next >