RE: [suse-security] a little service question
Hello,

[..cut..]

> Also, you will need to enable apache (httpd) in /etc/rc.config
>
> This will give you everything you said you require with the
> exception of MySQL.
> I am not an sql guru, but I'm 99% sure that you don't need to have it
> listening on
> the network if you are going to be accessing it from localhost.
> If it does need to be listening on a network port, you should
> be able to
> tell it to
> listen on 127.0.0.1 only.

You are right. If you need only connections to localhost you can
set the option skip-networking in the [mysqld] section of /etc/my.cnf
Restart mysql after that and you are done. MySQL will then use the
UNIX domain Socket /tmp/mysql.sock for IPC only.

> Of course you will need to follow the MySQL docs on how to
> configure it
> securely
> with password etc.
>
> Once you have done all this (it should take you about 15 min
> except for MySQL
> which may take you a few minutes more) reboot the machine
> just to check that
> everything works and is set to startup etc, then do a nmap
> (or a netstat -nat)

[..cut..]

Regards

Rüdiger Plüm