Re: [suse-security] importing users
  • From: Oliver Hensel <oliver.hensel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:57:12 +0100 (CET)
Hi Stephan.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, OKDesign oHG Security Webmaster wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> finally one of our clients is interested in switching from WinDoof to Linux.
> But he needs some tool to import the existing users on WindowsNT to Linux in
> a secure manner (that means, not only importing the users, but also the
> passwords; but he don't know all passwords)
> Is there any way to do this efficiently ?

IMHO it's not possible to import the passwords from WinNT to Linux due to
the fact that they use different hashing algorithms (Linux crypt(), which
is a better form of DES, WinNT uses some kind of MD5 (?)). If you can get
Linux to use the same hashing algorithm (perhaps MD5 with PAM? I don't
know for sure), it should be somehow possible. But I don't really know of
any efficient (and really secure) method.
Sure, you could crack the passwords with l0phtcrack, and import them under
Linux, not what I'd call secure and/or efficient :-).

> Best would be, if the user-data could also be included into samba (samba
> should act as an login-server for his domain)

This however should be perfectly possible, just export the SAM from NT,
and import the hashes into /etc/smbpasswd, which you need anyway. But then
there's no login to the Linux machine (POP3, FTP...).

Greetings
olli