Re: [suse-security] /var/log/messages
  • From: "Thomas Reitelbach -677" <t.reitelbach@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:59:30 +0100
This usually happens when either if your syslogd is not running or if
you created a
new /var/log/messages file and forgot to restart your syslogd.

>>> "Raffy" <suse@xxxxxxxx> Dienstag, 12. Dezember 2000 08:49:56 >>>
> I have just installed SuSE 7 about a month ago and have not had
any
messages
> recorded to /var/log/messages since Nov 21. Is this a sign of a
healthy
system
> or could there be a problem?

I don't think your syslogd is running. (ps aux | grep syslogd)
Normally
syslog is set up in a manner that it will print a "Mark" every now
and then
in the logfile. So you SHOULD have some entries in there if it is
working
correctly!
Or did you twiddle with your /etc/syslogd.conf? Make sure you have
set the
correct routing for your messages in there.

Raffy