Re: [suse-security] Trusted Nets/Ports
  • From: Stefan Suurmeijer <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:35:11 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mark Robinson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a firewall that allows certain hosts in on
> certain ports, e.g. mail/ssh, but I can't see how to configure it as
> tightly as I would like. I've used the FW_TRUSTED_NETS and
> FW_SERVICES_TRUSTED_* and as far as I can see this lets all the listed
> hosts/subnets in on all listed ports. Is this the case? If so, is
> there any way I can say: let only host a in on port x, subnet b in on
> port y etc?

With Marc Heuse's SuSEfirewall (which I understand you use) you can
designate (a) trusted system(s) with FW_TRUSTED_NETS. Any host/network you
define there will have access to all ports you allow for your trusted
nets. You can of course limit this to a single machine in a network
(aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/32 will give only machine aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd trusted access,
not the other machines in the aaa.bbb.ccc.0 net)
If you want tighter security (more differentiation between "trusted"
hosts) you need to build you own ipchains configuration. With that you can
grant access on a machine basis if you want.

> TIA,
> Mark mailto:mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers

Stefan