Re: [suse-security] list moderation, message mangling (was: TIS FWTK)
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:36:02 +0100
[ ... reformatted for TOFU avoidance and readability, sigh ... ]

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 14:38 -0600, Mearl Danner wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:39:34 +0100 Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > How about '"all" contains "X-Mailinglist: suse-security"'
> > then? This is exactly the "trick" in how to filter with
> > Netscape mail frontends discussed a few dozen times in
> > several suse lists in the past few years.
>
> I'll try that, but IIRC all includes the body, which didn't
> work on some messages very well. It'll probably work all right
> on suse-security though.

Usually "all" includes the body as well as(!) the header. It's
mainly found in those frontends which feel the user doesn't know
any more about email than "from", "to", "subject", and "the
message text". But it can be (ab)used to differ between "from",
"to", "subject" and "other header lines the author was afraid of
shocking the user when naming them since this would be too much
info at once".

There usually is no problem with searching for special header
lines by means of "all", as long as you can avoid false
positives. Just make the matching patterns as lengthy and as
concrete as you can. The above example should do very well. The
ability to specify "start of line" and "end of line" would be
handy, too, and would suddenly eradicate _all_ false positives.

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx