Re: [suse-security] Sendmail noetrn?
  • From: John Ritchie <ritchiej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Nick Zentena wrote:

> Hi,
> I noticed that the new sendmail.cf that suse installed included
> a noetrn setting. It didn't take me very long to change it but am I missing
> something? I can't see how having etrn on can hurt anything?
>
> Nick

The only reason to disable this would be to prevent people from connecting
to sendmail and doing an etrn root to find out where root's email has been
aliased to. Or etrn anyone else to see how they're aliased. I can't
really think of a good reason to enable it, though. To me, etrn seems
like a vestige of an older, more trusting time. :)

John