Re: [suse-security] Problems with YaST / Usermanagement
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:14:42 +0200 (MEST)
[snip]

> > What about NSCD starting up AUTONOMOUSLY?!
> >
> > I have it explicitly disabled in the /etc/rc.config of
> > a 24/7 server of mine, and after a while I find 7
> > (SEVEN) instances of /usr/sbin/nscd up and happily
> > running!
> >
> > I've no idea about who or what invokes it. :-(
> >

> Have you checked the daemon startup script (/etc/rc.d/nscd)? Mine looks
> ok, but maybe in your distribution there is a typo which causes it to not
> check for a START_NSCD=yes.
> Just a thought.
> > Dr. Simone Grabstein
> > gsimon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Stefan Suurmeijer
> E-mail (business): s.m.suurmeijer@xxxxxxxxxx

You're right. This is most definitely a bug. It is fixed in later
versions. :-(

The effects should only be noticeable shortly after one or more out of
username, uid, groupname or gid has been changed.

Today, all account handling utilities work around nscd's incoherent
caching by accessing the files directly.

Note that encrypted passwords aren't cached.

Thanks,
Roman.
--
- -