Re: [suse-security] RFC: - moderation -
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:18:13 -0600
Generally as mailing lists approach a certain size/popularity they must be
moderated. Even if 99% of the people on the list follow etiquette perfectly,
never post off topic, etc, etc that stills leaves %1 who will. If you list
has over 1000 people this quickly leads to high degree of noise, which seems
to usually follow a self amplifying pattern. As people post more off topic
questions and get a response (people trying to be helpful and all) it
encourages other to post off topic, as well there are more responses, some
of which are not really needed (me too!). Like a lot of security
professionals I receieve a lot of email in an average day (100-200), even if
I only scan them and do not reply/etc that's still a lot of time. Moderation
ensurses (to a much more certain degree) that the emails I receive from this
list will be worth reading and useful. As SuSE pointed out this will not
mean censorship (and I have yet to see a professional security mailing list
where that was ever a complaint, and I'm on over 20 =), it simply means the
wheat will be seperated from the chaff so we don't have to.

Kurt

< Previous Next >