AW: AW: [suse-security] one-time passwords
  • From: "OKDesign oHG Security Webmaster" <security@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 21:30:18 +0200
> Thanks for your reply. But as a matter of fact I have Read a whole bunch
> of FM's, including "man usermod".
>
> Unfortunately usermod does something completely different from what I want
> to implement: the only limit it can set on a password is an expiry date.
>
> What I need is a password that can be used only for the _first_ ever login
> of a user. After logging in the user would be presented with a query for a
> new password, which is henceforth used in the normal way (the expiries and
> stuff for this are already in place and working).
>
> I hope my question is clearer now :o)

Hi,
okay, it seems as if I misunderstood.
Well, the only way to do this that comes to my mind is to define the shell
of this user to automatically run a script when he logs in. This script
should ask for a new password, install this, and then change the shell back
to the normal shell, so this script isn't started again at the next login.
Maybe there is a different way, maybe even easier, but this is how I would
try the trick...

Hope that helps...

---
Stephan M. Ott // OKDesign oHG
Internet-Providing und Netzwerkmanagement
smo@xxxxxxxxxxx ..... http://www.okdesign.de
fon. +49 961 3814139 .. fax. +49 961 3814140
mobil 0171-8351130 ... oder ... 0171-7858064