Re: [suse-security] password generator
  • From: John Pinder <jpinder@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:44:41 -0700
jan wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> passwords again...
>
> I'm searching for a tool that generates
> many many passwords in a list,
> so that i can automatically assign
> them to users.
[SNIP]

Hi,

I have one - it's about 2kB gzipped, or just under 12kB uncompressed
(nobody worry, I was not going to post it to the list). It is not
idiot proof, and will blindly append to files, etc. (_don't_ run it
as root!!!!). I haven't tested it extensively (since I just wrote
it). It's in Perl (5.005_02), it isn't too pretty, but it will
generate a list of random passwords for you -> mixed case letters,
numbers and commas (,), newline delimited (\n). It would be pretty
simple to expand the characters it uses, if needed.
It could also be made much smaller, but I don't have the time right
now.

I can send it to you, if you are interested, as an email
attachment. If a bunch of people are interested (and if _nobody_
objects, and if the SuSE people explicitly say it's ok), maybe I
could post it to the list in sections or something.

John