SSH capable version of dump
  • From: Thomas Forbriger <thof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:09:16 +0200 (MEST)
Hi list,

we are using dump to do remote backups in our local network. root of the
dumping host uses a user account on another machine that is connected to a tape
device.

In the last months we did close a lot of network services and advice our users
to switch to SSH and SCP for obvious reasons. We would be very happy to close
the traditional r-services completely too. However dump uses rmt which relies
on rexec or rcmd which again need rshd or rexecd running. I looked for a way
to make dump use SHH but found none. I know tar offers the --rsh-command
option but I would prefer to stay with dump and use our hand-tailored scripts
around it.

So there are two questions:

- Does anybody know about a version of dump that is able to
cooperate with SSH?
- Another solution would be to keep r-services open and restrict them to local
hosts via /etc/hosts.deny, /etc/hosts.allow and the tcpd. Are there any
security implications with this solution that I missed?

Thanks,
Thomas

| Thomas Forbriger email: Thomas.Forbriger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Universitaet Stuttgart - Institut fuer Geophysik |
| Richard-Wagner-Str. 44 D-70184 Stuttgart Germany |
| Tel ++49 (711) 121-3593 or 3422 or 3424 or 3590 | Fax ++49 (711) 2361218 |
| http://www.geophys.uni-stuttgart.de/thof |
| "... there's nothing more bizarre than reality..." (M. Kindermann) |

< Previous Next >