Re: [suse-security] Ident Service dependencies
  • From: Alexander Reelsen <ar@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:21:34 +0200
Hi

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 04:08:09PM +0200, Steven Thompson wrote:
> Hi I would like to know which services are dependent on the "Ident service".
> As I'm configuring a firewall server and would like to if I can shut the
> service down.
You can shut the service down. Today it is almost only used for IRC
connects.
In general identd reveals a lot of information to your system for the
hacker, for example which user runs a certain service, so it is a source
of information.

If you do have IRC users behind the firewall, then reject the packets
instead of denying them, otherwise big timeouts will occur, because no
packet is sent back, what tells the ircserver, there's no ident running.

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen http://joker.rhwd.de
ref@xxxxxxxxx GnuPG: pub 1024D/F0D7313C sub 2048g/6AA2EDDB