Re: SuSE Security Announcement: kernel-2.2.x
  • From: Hubert Mantel <mantel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:11:17 +0200
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 30, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:

> Will there also be a version available, that will not crash the X-server with
> Jun 30 23:05:41 lutzpc kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd...
> Jun 30 23:05:46 lutzpc kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for X... Jun 30 23:05:46 lutzpc kernel: VM: terminating process X
> when trying to invoke Netscape on my 64MB Ram machine at home?

Yes of course. We´re currently testing the kernel that can also be found
at ftp.suse.com:/pub/people/mantel/linux-2.2.16.SuSE.tgz. I can also send
you a patch that fixes the problem with innocent processes getting killed
(btw. most of the pre17 kernels also had this problem).

> Back to 2.2.14 and I better do not upgrade the zillion machines in the
> institute..

The funny thing is: We even test our kernels on some of our internal
servers that are under quite some load. And according to Murphy this very
problem didn´t occur on any of them. In fact, three servers here still run
the buggy kernel. But not for very long any more ;)

> Best regards,
> Lutz
-o)
Hubert Mantel Goodbye, dots... /\\