From: <ksemat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Mariann" <mariann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <suse-security@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [suse-security] password encryption?

> Actually all you need is to set
> encrypt passwords = yes
> then run smbpasswd -a username
> it will ask for a passwd and then ask to confirm it.
> Now use that same username to log into a windows machine and try to access
> the share it should allow you to do so.
> I.e if your win2000 is the pdc then create that same username on it and
> use it to log in.
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Mariann wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:49:46 +0100
> > From: Mariann <mariann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: suse-security@xxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [suse-security] password encryption?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Still experimenting with Samba 2.0.7
> > This question is about password encryption. It says in the
SMB-HOWTO-6.html to set
> > encrypt passwords = yes
> > smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
> > in smb.conf, which I did via swat.
> >
> > Then it says to make some changes in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\rdr\parameters on a
WinNT machine. I tried to find this on a Win2000 box, with no success.

> > Does anyone know what's the equivalent for this in Win2000 regedit?
> >
> > The reason I started playing with encryption was that is asks me for a
username and password when trying to access a share on the Linux box from
the win2000 one. Even though I enter a valid linux username and password it
doesn't let me in.