Re: [suse-security] NTP Client
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:58:52 -0600
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 rhoerbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > - Setup ntp.conf. Try to find stratum 2 servers as close (ip-wise) as
> > possible.
> hmmm ... i always used just
> netdate ts1.unvie.ac.at ts2.univie.ac.at
> (or any other timeservers) and run this from crontab every night ...
>
> Don't think that this solution isn't good enough...

The nice thing about ntp is that it creates a drift file, so at boot time
the system time is set properly (assuming the HW clock is off, which it
almost always is). Also with ntp running you can synch other machines form
it, 2 of my servers synch with other servers, then all my internal machines
synch to my 2 local servers, and presto, everyone has the same (accurate)
time. Checking logfiles/etc is a LOT easier. You'd be surprised how far a
clock can drift in 24 hours, even if logs are onlyy off by like 5 seconds
comparing them is a total pain.

> greets
> Markus Gaugusch

-Kurt