harden_suse & gdm
  • From: Stephen nyc <stephennyny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
Folks -

I ran the harden suse scripts today and have run into
a little problem with gdm.

System is clean suse 6.4 install, clean helix-gnome
1.2 install. run level 3 booted to gdm login window.

Before running the harden script (options y y y y n n
y n y y - modified workstation) on startup I would get
the gdm login window. I could switch back to console
1, and log in either way.

Now I boot to the gdm login window - it accepts no
keyboard inputs, making it impossible to login or
change consoles.

Interestingly enough, now that it is disabled, I can
run gdm fine from a root login and behavior is as
expected.

This probably has something to do with some of the
permission resets and that gdm can access the keyboard
- can someone point me in the right direction for
repairing this, or help me understand the benefit of
this behavior.

Thanks.

- Steve