Re: [suse-security] harden_suse & gdm
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:26:36 +0200 (MEST)
Stephen,

It would be useful to know if the system is accessible if you run xdm or
kdm instead of gdm.
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce your problem right now.

Most liklely, the origin of the failure comes out of one or two corners:

1) a permission problem. You would have to strace or ltrace the binary to
get more details (maybe the process changes euid and runs into a closed
device file). Insert `strace -f -o /strace.gdm´ before the "startproc" in
/sbin/init.d/xdm. (kill the process with an atjob or alike to regain
control again!)

2) a locale problem, or a mixture with 1). Since the thing works with gdm
ran as root, the profile settings in one or more of /etc/rc.status,
/etc/rc.config, /etc/SuSEconfig/profile may be the culprit.

If nothing helps, comment out line 29 in /sbin/init.d/xdm (which reads
like "export $var") and see what it does.

Thanks,
Roman.
--
- -