Re: [suse-security] ZDNet: Scientists spot Achilles' heel of the Internet!
  • From: Eduardo Carriles <eduardo.carriles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:49:03 +0200
Hi Mr. Miller,

Thanks, you reported using a infinitesimal spot.

Hi all,

Surprising short report on "Achilles' heel of the Internet ",
"Error and attack tolerance of complex networks" [Nature]
related to the posted bellow, by "Fred A. Miller":

Excerpt of "Error and attack tolerance of complex networks" by:
"RÉKA ALBERT, HAWOONG JEONG & ALBERT-LÁSZLÓ BARABÁSI"
On Nature 406, 378 - 382 (2000) © Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
<Nature © Macmillan Publishers Ltd 2000 Registered No. 785998 England.>

"...relatively simple organisms grow, persist and reproduce despite
drastic pharmaceutical or environmental interventions, an error
tolerance..."

ORGANICS related?, not so:
"...the Internet, social networks and cells."

"We find that such networks display an unexpected degree of robustness,
the ability of their nodes to communicate being unaffected even by
unrealistically high failure rates. However, ....."
http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v406/n6794/abs/406378a0_fs.html

Elegant!!!

These were my thoughts. =:`)

----

--
HTH

Best regards,
Eduardo Carriles

[-- Better a smile than a flame --]
(Long time SuSE-Linux [preferred distro] user).
[-- Se me nota mucho? -- Notices me much?]
[-- Have a lot of fun...]