freeS/WAN on SuSE 6.4
  • From: Torsten Behle <tbehle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:49:46 +0200
Hi list,

Please be careful when upgrading your freeS/WAN-machine to SuSE 6.4.

As far as I can understand this, SuSE has compiled freeS/WAN 1.3 in the 6.4 edition, but did not apply the kernel-patches to the lx_suse kernel-sources.
It works well with the standard kernel, but not if I want to recompile it.

Given that very few people use a standard kernel on a firewall machine - what is the suggested way of installing freeS/WAN on SuSE 6.4?

I installed freeS/WAN sources, but would like to benefit from the convenience the SuSE-team wanted to make available to us.

BTW: Changing the location of the binaries to /usr//local/lib/ipsec/ to /usr/lib/ipsec/ has not been reflected in the hard coded $IPSECDIR in /usr/sbin/ipsec. If you don't change that, freeS/WAN even
doesn't run on a standard SuSE-kernel. Also the manpage.d-directory for e.g. the ipsec.conf-html-manpage has not been built.

Torsten Behle
FCB/Wilkens
Germany