Re: [suse-security] manpath again
  • From: Ruediger Oertel <ro@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:36:21 +0200 (MEST)
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Gregor Hlawacek wrote:

> Today Ruediger Oertel slept on the keyboard and thought about Re:...
>
> > Hm,
> > to simplify the problem, what about:
> > /etc/cron.daily/aaa_base_do_mandb:
> > - MANPATH=$manpath
> > - export manpath MANPATH
> > -
> > - /usr/sbin/makewhatis
> > - fi
> > + if [ -x /usr/sbin/makewhatis ] ; then
> > + /usr/sbin/makewhatis
> > + fi
> >
> > Does this change anything ?
>
> Don't know. Your too late I already installed the makewhatis package and
> hope that this will sove the prob. This must have changed in the update of
> the aaa-base package because it worked befor.
Which Version of aaa_base did you have installed before ?
But anyway: mkwhatis was only called if it was installed
(there always was a "test -x /usr/sbin/makewhatis" before the call)
And if "makewhatis" was not installed, I guess I'm searching in the
wrong place anyway.

Could someone that still has this problem (or can reproduce it
somehow) look in "pstree -ap" to find the parent process of the
cpu-hogging "manpath"-process. Maybe even "strace -p PID" with
the PID of the manpath process would give a hint.

--
with kind regards (mit freundlichem Grinsen),
Ruediger Oertel (ro@xxxxxxx)