Re: [suse-security] passwd question
  • From: "Keith Warno" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:01:58 -0400
8 character passwds have been the standard since the beginning of UNIX time,
as far as I know.

You can use MD5 passwds if you wish. This is all controlled via PAM
(Pluggable Authentication Modules) these days. PAM isn't easily understood
by the newbie, however.

Check out http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/

ciao,
kw