Re: [suse-security] manpath: and manpath: quick bugfix
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <kuhlmav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 14:07:42 +1200 (NZST)
> While executing this, /etc/csh.cshrc is called. In this file you find

> setenv MANPATH "(unsetenv $MANPATH;`manpath -q`)"

That could be a race problem, although it's hard to believe.

> > setenv MANPATH2 "`manpath -q`"
> > unsetenv MANPATH
> > setenv MANPATH $MANPATH2

Please - tidy this up (load new path into new variable, copy, delete),
btw you missed the quotes - bad!

setenv MANPATH2 "`manpath -q`"
setenv MANPATH "$MANPATH2"
unsetenv MANPATH2

> We tried that first, too, and then the problem disappears for calls
> from the command line, but not from the crontab...

:-(

I would suggest SuSE changes this anyway. Recursive dependencies are
asking for trouble - unless someone can guarantee this isn't one. My
version still gets by with 1 less process thus is more efficient.

Btw how about debugging: create a directory, and write the env vars
as well as the shell vars(!!) (commands env, set) into a file in this
directory each time csh gets started (I suggest $$ in the file name). The
next morning will tell how the environments for interactive shell sessions
and cron differ. This kind of thing is often a problem for things run
from cron.

Volker

  • No further messages