6.4 and masq and NAT and mem probs
  • From: Marco Heuer <marcoh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:11:26 -0700
Hi list,

Recently (2 weeks ago) we installed a firewall for our office with
SuSE 6.4 and have two networks inside. One is supposed to be private
(for office users and thus masq-ed). The other one has a couple of
public IPs and should be partially NAT-ed as some of the private IPs.
Furthermore everything is filtered by ipchains.

Hey, after many many hours we got it configured and it even works!
*yeah* *smile*

Well, it worked. For some time at least. Using the system for a couple
of days (and sometimes even only hours) there is no memory left to fork
any new processes! top does not show any processes using an
extraordinary amount of mem (user's bashs 1-2MB at the most).

Hmm, an old setup with 6.2 and 6.3 and w/o NAT ran over a year with just
two reboots (replacing a HDD).
So turning off NAT helped. The system is now running and running...
As of this moment a Cisco 1605 is doing the NAT for us, but it is ugly.

Question to you guys:
Has anyone ever heard of or seen of such a problem?

Thanks a lot for any ideas!
Marco

PS Ah yes, specs of our current system:
- PII 400 on 128MB, i CA810e mother board
- two Intel NICs (one onboard, same chip GD82559 with e100.c drivers)

  • No further messages