Re: [suse-security] sendmail 8.9.3
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 21:48:06 +0200 (MEST)

> hi there
>
> i've noticed following problem with my sendmail:
> running the command sendmail as root works just fine.
> when run as any other user, I get the following error message:
>
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail
> /usr/sbin/sendmail: error in loading shared libraries
> : undefined symbol: __rawmemchr
>
> is this a SuSE-Bug?
> i really need sendmail to be run as simple user for processing
> feedback formulars with perl scripts (/usr/sbin/sendmail -t).
>
> does anybody know a quick work-around?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Bjoern

Hi Bjoern,

This is definitely not a security issue...

Anyway: Several possibilities:

* You use an old binary or old libraries. Check if the sendmail binary and
the shared libs under /lib (including ld-2.1.3.so which contains this
symbol) really belong to their respective rpm package. Use rpm for this
purpose.

* See if the packages belong to the distribution you use.

* check the permissions under /lib, /usr/lib and the directories listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf.

* execute `ldconfig' and see if the problem goes away.

* strace your sendmail command and see what's going wrong.
Don't write to the list with the debugging info, since this is a
security related list. Mail me personally.

Roman.
--
_ _
| Roman Drahtmüller "The best way to pay for a |