Re: [suse-security] firewall-script doesn't start
  • From: Fred Mobach <fred@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:46:18 +0100
John Scroggins wrote:

> btw: there is an more updated version on firewal.rpm on the SuSE ftp site
> under /6.3/updates. For some reason, (I have yet to fire off a post to
> SuSE) the program seems to open ports that were not available when using the
> firewal-1.4.8 program. I always audit my network with nmap. Until I can find
> out why those ports have become visible I cannot recommend the latest
> version.

Some time ago I've noticed this behavior with even nmap 2.3 BETA 13. It's not
dependend upon SuSE's firewall script, it's dependend upon the precense of
blocking firewall rules. You can test that by running nmap -O -s[S|T|U|...] -p
1-65535 target once while your firewalling rules are not active and once while
they're active.

Depending on your rules someone might think that you're running a Lexmark
printer :-).

Regards,

Fred Mobach
fred at mobach.nl