Re: [suse-security] passwords limited 8 characters
  • From: Tobias Burnus <burnus@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:05:03 +0200
Hi,

> Ertan Sekmen wrote:
> > it doesn't have this value, and when i added it returns me unknown item
> > 'md5_crypt_enab'
> > #rpm -q shadow
> > shadow-19990827-29
> Mmmm... Maybe Suse does not ship the shadow passwords suite with MD5
> passwords support (due to export restriction laws ?) .
I don't know what extra restrictions the version shiped to and
re-exported from the USA, but this is a limitation in SuSE 6.3.

SuSE 6.3 introduced PAM support, but the PAM support used didn't support
MD5. In SuSE 6.4, MD5 is supposed to work with PAM. (In versions before
6.3 it also worked.)

SuSE 6.4 is supposed to ship today (German version) and in a few days
the English version will be shipped (see webpage), later (when?) there
will be the ftp version available.

Tobias