Re: [suse-security] passwords limited 8 characters
  • From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:56:17 +0200
On Mon, Mar 27, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Ertan Sekmen wrote:
> > > it doesn't have this value, and when i added it returns me unknown item
> > > 'md5_crypt_enab'
> > > #rpm -q shadow
> > > shadow-19990827-29
> > Mmmm... Maybe Suse does not ship the shadow passwords suite with MD5
> > passwords support (due to export restriction laws ?) .
> I don't know what extra restrictions the version shiped to and
> re-exported from the USA, but this is a limitation in SuSE 6.3.
>
> SuSE 6.3 introduced PAM support, but the PAM support used didn't support

No, we introduced PAM with SuSE Linux 6.2. And PAM supports MD5 hashes,
since this is implemented in glibc's crypt() version. So no special md5
support for PAM is needed. But the passwd version was not able to create
md5 hashes.

> MD5. In SuSE 6.4, MD5 is supposed to work with PAM. (In versions before
> 6.3 it also worked.)

With SuSE Linux 6.4, passwd is able to create md5 hashes.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/ kukuk@xxxxxxx
SuSE GmbH Schanzaeckerstr. 10 90443 Nuernberg