Re: [opensuse-ruby] How to run current versions of ruby on Leap
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 13:38:59 +0200
Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey,

On 27.06.2017 16:13, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

What is our stance on this? Are there any pointers?

Install the packaged version you want. Handle ruby by linking it into
a directory that is in front of your path.

ln -sf /usr/bin/ruby.ruby$VERSION ~/bin/ruby
ln -sf /usr/bin/gem.ruby$VERSION ~/bin/gem

as the ruby maintainer i can recommend this way if you can't live with
versioned binaries.

As Josef pointed out already do not change the system ruby.

Now if we as openSUSE project would want to have /usr/bin/ruby variable
the following things need to be done:

1. fix all shebang lines to use a version ruby path.
2. make sure all packages require the version used in their shebang
line.
3. switch code to update-alternatives for /usr/bin/ruby.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
openSUSE is good for you