Re: [opensuse-ruby] A new packaging scheme for Ruby 2.1
On Wednesday 22 January 2014 15:13:02 Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Sascha Peilicke <speilicke@xxxxxxxx> [Jan 22. 2014 14:19]:
Mucho agreed. I strongly vote for keeping parallel-installability. For
several products (like Cloud) this is a must-have.

Hmm, I somewhat struggle with that. Why's it a 'must-have' ?

So Cloud-3 currently is still based on 1.8 and rails-2.3. We very recently got
more manpower and I expect this to change soon. But at least ATM, we're not
2.1 ready.

And it's already present in openSUSE (and thus SLE12).

Well, this proposal is about removing this parallel-installability for
SLE12.

2. Ruby will be part of inst-sys (for YaST)

Another good reason why you want parallel installs. ATM ruby-2.1 is fresh
like cheese. But this version on SLE_X. Let 6 years pass and take one of
our Ruby- based products. It will likely use ruby-42 by then. You can't
drop ruby21 because of yast but you need ruby42 because of $PRODUCT...

I'm pretty sure we will be able to adapt yast to ruby-4.2. So this
argument does not hold for me.

That is not my point, the question is if $SUSE_PRODUCT_X will be similarly
capable to adapt.

Let's do it the other way around, yast moved to ruby-4.2 but cloud-9 wants
ruby-2.1. Of course you could ask "dear cloud guys", please fix this. But this
would probably only happen for cloud-10. And our SLE_12 using customer may or
may not want to upgrade to it.

5. ruby-macros ?

This would be a new name for ruby-common, a package only used for
building ruby GEM packages.
Actually, I'm not happy about the name. It should reflect the
package
usage. ruby-devel-build or ruby-build-macros could be
alternatives.

Dunno if it's worth discussing package names but it's established practice
to name RPM macro packages for software foo $FOO as $FOO-macros or
$FOO-rpm- macros. Maybe the later is more obvious.

Yes, ruby-rpm-macros seems like a good name.

Klaus

--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke