Re: [opensuse-ruby] A new packaging scheme for Ruby 2.1
* Sascha Peilicke <speilicke@xxxxxxxx> [Jan 22. 2014 14:41]:

Therefore I would recommend building a minimal ruby package that is isolated
(not on any PATH) and only used by yast. The package would only include
libruby$SOVER, a "rubyyast" binary, some stdlib (whatever you need) and all
yast's gem dependencies in matching versions. Of course those have to be
installed in a private gem path.

We are already talking about this with the SLE release managers. For
reasons outside of YaST.

This way you can independently update yast without risking to break your
customer's (or other SUSE) applications. IMO that's the only sane option you
have.

My assumption is that we will not maintain a single Ruby version for
long but rather follow upstream. Otherwise its a maintenance nightmare.

Klaus
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany