[opensuse-ruby] A new packaging scheme for Ruby 2.1
Hi,

going forward, Ruby becomes more important in the openSUSE and SLES
codebase. This is why Coolo asked me to come up with a new Ruby
packaging scheme. Read on to learn about my current thinking in this
regard.

What are the goals ?

1. revert the ruby, rubyXY, and ruby-common split
Initially done to allow multiple Ruby versions in parallel, it
wasn't really used and developers use rvm or rbenv to achieve the
same effect.
From a buildservice perspective, this split cause more headaches
than it provided value.

2. Ruby will be part of inst-sys (for YaST)
As you know, size matters.
Looking at the ruby20 package, it has an install size of 18MB
However, 'du -sh /usr/share/doc/packages/ruby20' reports 5.9 MB
just for documentation.

3. The new package scheme should support maintenance better
A split between binaries, shared libraries, and Ruby stdlib seems
desirable

Packaging proposal:

I'd like to generate the following packages for Ruby 2.1

1. ruby-2.1
This would provide binaries (ruby, irb, rake, gem, ...) and a minimal
set of documentation (changelog, readme, news, ...)

2. libruby2
This would only provide the libruby2.1.so.2.0.0 shared library

3. ruby-stdlib
This would provide the /usr/lib64/ruby/2.1.0/ directory tree.

4. ruby-doc
This would provide the full Ruby documentation including samples.

5. ruby-macros ?
This would be a new name for ruby-common, a package only used for
building ruby GEM packages.
Actually, I'm not happy about the name. It should reflect the package
usage. ruby-devel-build or ruby-build-macros could be alternatives.

6. ruby-devel, ruby-devel-extra, ruby-doc-ri
These would stay unchanged.

Comments ?

Thanks,

Klaus
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany