Re: [opensuse-ruby] YaST in Ruby
  • From: Jordi Massaguer Pla <jmassaguerpla@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:36:31 +0200
On 05/28/2013 11:01 AM, David Majda wrote:
Hi,

as some may know, since January few SUSE developers in Prague are
working on automatically translating YaST codebase from YCP (an old
proprietary language) into Ruby. The main goals are to give the platform
a technology boost, so that we can evolve it easier in the future, and
lower the effort spent on maintenance in the long term.

The project recently reached an important milestone -- we are able to
install a 12.3-based system using an installer composed only of
translated YaST modules:

http://lists.opensuse.org/yast-devel/2013-05/msg00026.html

We plan to integrate the work into Factory/openSUSE 13.1 soon (the
details are still being fleshed out). This will make YaST an important
part of the Ruby ecosystem as provided by openSUSE. I thought it would
be good to make all openSUSE/SUSE Ruby developers aware of that, as
their work will have much bigger impact now.

If you are interested in details of the translation project, the main
entry point is the YCP Killer project repository on GitHub:

https://github.com/yast/ycp-killer

If you have any questions or you would like to help with
testing/development, feel free to contact us.

Good job! :)

congrats