  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:35:59 +0000
Sascha Peilicke (saschpe@xxxxxxx) wrote:
On 11/06/2012 01:13 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Sascha Peilicke (saschpe@xxxxxxx) wrote:

[...loveley Ruby fun...]

OK, but that's just a usability issue rather than a blocker, right?
Totally off topic, but it's worth telling this story. First of all, "osc
build" finds a default spec file because Dirk added that our of
annoyance. "osc vc" doesn't find because it popen's a shell script
originates from autobuild, has a copyright header from 2009, consists of
152 LOCS of which approximately 140 LOCS deal with input validation and
finding changes files (which osc already knew). There you have the
helpful message "Choose one of $BLA". But poor shell script can't know
OBS packages because it's just a poor shell script from the "build"
package. Did I forgot to tell that the Python code in osc that happens
to popen said script also parses changes files (for even worse reasons)?

*lol*

Ouch, that's horrible.

Long story short, smart masterpieces like these are the result of
brilliantly thought out design decisions by lone star software plumbers
who may have even remotely heard of software design but decided to do it
differently anyway. Of course this has the priceless advantage that
plumbers can have an instant laugh watching the hole skyscraper of
bullshit collapse once anyone tries to flip a single bit.

Right - the problem here is lack of test suites. It's really
crippling in these kinds of situations where major refactoring is
badly needed but prevented from happening due to fear of breaking
things.

Lastly, no real developer is interested in even caring for
"usability", it's to close to the word hillbilly and would help only
users.

FWIW, I care ;-)

Getting back to the whole Ruby discussion, let's just do it! We can
still make it more complicated once we managed to understand what we did
to make it easier ;-)

Hopefully you lot can reach a consensus tomorrow ;-)