On 06.11.2012 12:54, Adam Spiers wrote:

However, in the few ugly cases where multi-version is required, it
should be possible to accommodate - rubygemsdeps.rb could generate the
following extra Provides:

multiversion(rubygem)
multiversion(rubygem-foo)
multiversion(rubygem-foo-1)
multiversion(rubygem-foo-1_2)
multiversion(1.9:rubygem-foo)
multiversion(1.9:rubygem-foo-1)
multiversion(1.9:rubygem-foo-1_2)

and then any product-oriented rpm could install the appropriate
multiversion policy / policies into /etc/zypp/multiversion.d/
e.g.

multiversion = provides:multiversion(1.9:rubygem-foo)'

which would allow multiple versions of the foo gem to co-exist
simultaneously for a 1.9 ruby install.

So I have *still* not heard a convincing reason why we would ever need
suffices in the Name: field.

OK, let me give you one: to avoid all the mess you just listed.