  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 12:13:10 +0000
Sascha Peilicke (saschpe@xxxxxxx) wrote:
On 11/06/2012 12:43 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Klaus Kaempf (kkaempf@xxxxxxx) wrote:
The 'bug' is that I need to create two different 'package' entries in
OBS. I'd rather see OBS support multiple versions for a package natively.

Presumably you mean a single package containing multiple spec files,
rather than a single spec file containing multiple versions? The
latter sounds like a disaster. But the former poses several
challenges too, e.g. how would 'osc build' know which to build?

Please note that this is done quite often, e.g. to split out doc
packages that would otherwise pollute the build log/time/requirements of
the base package/spec.

Interesting to know, thanks! But in this case, the Name: field will
have a different value, so it's not an identical scenario.

"osc build" AFAICS has magic to use the spec file
that matches the OBS package name (if there is one),

I didn't know this either! Presumably this is the optional
BUILD_DESCR argument to 'osc build' described in the osc man page?
The man page says that it will be detected automatically but doesn't
describe how in the section for 'osc build'. However in the section
for 'osc buildinfo', it says

The BUILD_DESCR argument is optional. BUILD_DESCR is a local RPM
specfile or Debian "dsc" file. If specified, it is sent to the
server, and the buildinfo will be based on it. If the argument is
not supplied, the buildinfo is derived from the specfile which is
currently on the source repository server.

"osc vc" does not
(yet) and needs you to explicitly mention the changes file you want to
touch (you can do the same with osc build, though).

OK, but that's just a usability issue rather than a blocker, right?

But I still can't see any advantage to having a single OBS package
which contains multiple .spec files for different versions of the same
gem, and I can see many disadvantages.