  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:46:53 +0000
Stephan Kulow (coolo@xxxxxxx) wrote:
On 30.10.2012 17:36, Adam Spiers wrote:
So I must be misunderstanding something. If something requires an old
version, why not just require rubygem-foo-1_0? Since like you said in
that post, the automatic provides for the foo 1.0 gem would make that
virtual package available:

You don't need to require anything - the requires and provides are all
done automatically

Yes I know, I was talking about how the automatic process works :-) If
gem 'foo' has a dependency 'bar ~> 1.2.3' then what do the automatic
requires for 'foo' look like? Presumably like this, right?

rubygem-bar-1_2 >= 1.2.3

and that's not the reason for the suffix.

So what *is* / was the reason for the suffix?

We didn't rename all gem_1_0 packages yet, but we're going there
whenever we update a package.

I see. It would be extremely helpful to document this procedure here:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Ruby

I guess it's mainly a question of changing the Name: field and then
running

gem2rpm *.gem -o *.spec

or am I way off?

Basically, but for factory inclusion you also need to make the spec file
and the .changes file named according to Name.

OK, thanks. But again this needs to be documented. I could update
that wiki page but I'm not 100% confident I'd get it right.